Thursday, July 3, 2008

Pullin' An All-Nighter

Yep, we finally had a night where at least one of us was up all night long. Remember when I was complaining in previous posts about Miles waking up every hour to eat? Those were the good old days. Mr. Miles now has decided that he only wants to sleep if someone is holding him. Considering we're not one of those hippy couples that puts our kid to sleep in bed with us, that leaves limited options. So, Jason went to bed last night while I stayed up with Miles until about midnight. Then, except for a few feedings, Jason was up with Miles from midnight until 5AM. I then pulled the 5AM to 9AM shift before Nana D woke up and let both of us finally sleep. It's gonna be a long couple of weeks, especially now that Nana has gone back home again. :-(


In other news, we had more visits from Nana, Papa, Aunt Kari, and Uncle Davy. Miles had a big day out on Saturday and was a good boy in Kohl's and Target with the exception of one major poop explosion. You should have seen me, Nana, and Aunt KK triple-teaming the poopster in the back of my car! We even went out to eat for the first time. He was generally pretty good, but it definitely helps to choose a loud restaurant where his screams aren't quite as noticeable.



Miles had a few more firsts this week. He got his first bottle on Sunday in preparation for his alone time with Nana on Monday. Our seventh wedding anniversary was Monday, June 30th. Both of us actually totally forgot about it until my mom volunteered to come stay to babysit that day if we wanted to go out. Our first outing without Miles was actually a romantic sojourn to the dentist's office, and WOW was it just as bad as it sounds. We spent an hour in the waiting room before seeing this new guy. I use the word "new" lightly...we calculated he really is 77 years old or so. The dentist actually had bad breath - not exactly the best role model. The day did improve though - we had a delicious meal on the rooftop at Dunaway's with a nice view of downtown Indy and the weather was great.


The notorious umbilical cord stump finally fell off this week too, so Miles had his first "real" bath in the baby bath tub. He screamed just as loud as he did for the sponge baths, so we'll probably be experimenting with the best way to do this more.


I'm realizing that "Booty" was a whole lot more clever in his posts than I am. I guess sense of humor is the first thing to go when you're getting no sleep. Here's one more pic, minus the snarky comment for now. I'm still on the elusive hunt for a smile, but this half-smirk will have to do for now.

8 comments:

amypfan said...

I sympathize! We actually did let Bryn sleep with us a few times when shew as a baby because we were just too tired, but we held strong and didn't ever do it with Shay.

Kathleen said...

I also sympathize! Two things: First, we recommend a book called "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. We didn't follow it to the letter, but it's got some pretty good advice about sleeping. Looking back on Emily's first few months, we didn't know what the HECK we were doing, and any bit of info helped!

Second, Emily screamed through baths for the first few months of her life, but now she absolutely loves them. Miles will like them eventually! (I hope!) :)

Andrea said...

Hannah loved swings and bouncers - they were our best friends for the first few months! Good luck, they do eventually sleep, I promise!

Cathy said...

Chris had nights like that too, sometimes putting them in the carseat and/or taking them for a ride helps. And having a minivan is actually handy for carside diaper changes. Actually, Chris just had a 2 outfit, 6 wipe incident just yesterday. Sorry about dashing hopes that it ends.
Anyway, we found that the water was too cold for him in the tub, when he was teensy, but maybe if you kick up the temp a bit, not so hot that the duck turns white or his skin turns pink, but a little warmer, that might help. Buena suerte.

Krysten said...

These are the exact things I am not looking forward too. Everyone keeps saying, "Sleep when the baby sleeps." This seems like a bit of a "Duh" statement to me since you're clearly not going to be sleeping while the baby is screaming his/her head off! Hopefully by the end of August/beginning of September Miles will have more of a schedule and you can reassure me that life will get better! :) I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Anonymous said...

Little guy,
I haven't written much on the blog because I've been with you and witness to all your tricks! I sure do love smooching your little cheeks!

Take it easy on the parents until I can get back to you!!

Love you
Nana

Suellen said...

Wow - such fun to look forward to! My favorite thing about this post, though, is the first picture of Jason and Miles. It's really sweet.

Anonymous said...

Oh little buddy,

You need to stop giving your mommy and daddy such a hard time. Sleep is a GOOD thing...you will learn soon :) We had so much fun with you. I wish I could have held you more than the 15 hours I probably did. Can't wait to see you in August!

Love you,
Aunt Kari